There is so much information out there on social media! It is mind-blowing. With so much buzz, so many sites, with so many acronyms, the whole topic seems complex. Where do you start? So in the coming weeks, I intend to take you on a journey. I am going to simplify. That’s right, breaking it down. I am calling this journey the social media alphabet. I will be providing information for those who are thinking about entering the social media arena but not quite sure where to start. I also would like to think there will be some valuable social media pearls for the social media veterans who have decided to join us. So by way of introduction let me answer a couple of questions.
So, what is social media?
Social media is simply just media you create, where you gather and socialize. That’s it. It is:
- Where you share interesting stuff;
- Where you share what’s happening in your life;
- Where you get the best deals, eats, treats, laughs, entertainment;
- Where you may share your concerns;
- Where you share your best finds;
- Where you make new friends near and far;
- Where you share your differences;
- Where you can find people of similar interests no matter how unique that interest might be.
Social media is where you publish and determine what’s in the media. Therefore you are deciding the program for the day. And it happens at a meeting place of your choosing! What’s not to love!
So what should you expect in this series?
I am going to run through the alphabet to summarize social media in simple terms which you can use as a basic reference.
My upcoming posts will touch on:
If you are lost and think you are meandering aimlessly through the social media maze join us!
Now, is there anything missing? Tell your friends and colleagues. Feel free to share this post and join me on this ride.
- How Social Media is Changing the NFL (mashable.com)
- StumbleUpon Drives More Than 50% of Social Media Traffic [STATS] (mashable.com)
- Social Media Propaganda Posters – Join The Cause! (wordvomitfromthepostgraduate.com)